Sunday, July 4, 2010

How I am who I am (still figuring it out)

Ramblings from a life in motion. Ramblings on perspectives radiated from a heart having shared much death. Mental illness and me, from a  I am currently enjoying working as an art therapist and caregiver to the mentally ill. Working with Mental illness up close and personal is my chosen career for a reason as it grounds me guiding me towards my never ending quest: "to explore human nature seeking connections in understanding." It is not as easy as to say "I get it, I understand" in my quest to begin to deeply understand others I will begin to understand myself. Each day I am reminded how very close we are to mental illness and to death, the condition my clients face. There fears of finality and separation  are no different than our own; only mental illness and terminal illness have a way of making them much more intense. They must face a stigma of hate (unmasked fear) that humankind serves up all too easily although we really are no different- we are only human. A very fine line separates us,It is a line I refuse to draw any longer, choosing now to erase any lines previously drawn. The human animal is a beautiful and enigmatic creature with unlimited  potential imparted at birth, amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments, suggestions and questions are welcome and will be moderated.